There is rarely any need to find or examine the linkIDs in any inoculated files.
To see the LinkFixer Advanced linkID in an Office (XML) file take the following steps:
- Select a file that has been inoculated by LinkFixer Advanced .
- Change the extension of the file to .ZIP (for example, change DOCX to ZIP).
- Un-zip/extract the .ZIP file.
- Open the folder containing the contents of the .ZIP file.
- Navigate to the docProps\custom.xml file and open that file using a text editor.
Within that custom.xml file you will find the linkIDs for all of the links contained in the selected parent file. It is these IDs that allow LinkFixer Advanced to fix the broken links that occur when your files are migrated to a new folder structure or server.
This custom.xml file is created by LinkFixer Advanced and is not needed or used by any other program. So, these linkIDs are invisible to the end user of the and transparent to the Office application that opens the file. These linkIDs persist in the file when the file is moved and after LinkFixer Advanced is closed or uninstalled.
LinkIDs are stored in other file types in a similar manner but in different meta-data locations that are always invisible to the normal user.